Thursday, August 3rd, 2017

A Day In The Life – Summer 2017

I don’t know how you guys feel about day in the life posts, but personally I’ve always enjoyed them on other people’s sites. Hopefully you enjoy them too! If you have one on your site let me know, I’d be intrigued to read it.

This wasn’t a particularly glamorous or noteworthy day, it was literally the daily grind. Hope you enjoy the sneak peek overshare.


Munchkin woke up crying. Turns out he peed through his diaper. You wouldn’t think this would make me happy, but it did. He’s been teething so hard for the last little while that he refused to put anything in his mouth – most food and drink included. Dehydration was becoming a concern, but obviously it isn’t anymore. *thumbs up* We clean him up and bring him back to bed with us to calm him down.


It didn’t work. He’d fall asleep only to wake up kicking, farting and crying again few minutes later. I put him back in his crib to try to salvage a little bit of the night, and he’s immediately quiet. Why didn’t I do this hours ago???


Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.


Hit snooze.


Hit snooze.


My husband calls from the nursery for assistance with a diaper change. Not a smell I enjoy upon waking, but it means everything is working as it should.


I hop in the shower for a quick rinse while my husband gets our son set up in his high chair for breakfast.


I tag my husband out so he can go for his shower. We’re out of coffee grounds, so I run some beans through the grinder to cover the next couple days. I feed the dog while the grinder is running and put water and a filter in the coffee maker.


Munchkin is feeling better and actually eating this morning, so I cut up some more baked oatmeal for him. I put my makeup on at the table beside him so I can chat with him while he eats.


My husband cleans up our son and takes him upstairs to get changed while I throw dinner together in the crock pot. The temperature cooled down outside and we had some leftover ham, so tonight is split pea soup. Hubby calls down for a damp cloth. Apparently he missed a patch of smeared raspberry on munchkin’s ankle (??)


Running around finding socks, hats, etc… Added a change of clothes to munchkin’s backpack. Put my lunch in my bag.


I’m tired and have zero inspiration fashion wise today. I throw on a work branded polo and jeans with a light coat and call it a day.


I fill up the travel mugs, throw on my shoes, and give the boys kisses goodbye. By 7:12 I’m in the car and on my way.


Parked at the office. I’m so ready for my coffee.


Breakfast time. I packed a piece of the same baked oatmeal munchkin had and a handful of fresh raspberries. I traded some friends a container of lettuce for the raspberries and some rhubarb on the weekend. Freebie swaps for the win.


One of the guys at work swings by my desk. After a quick conversation about risotto and meal prep containers, we get into the meat of why he came by and discuss whether or not a specific failure in a torque converter would result in shifting issues in a transmission. So much for a brainless breakfast.


Work work work. Answering e-mails, responding to questions, and approving reports.


I am tired with a capital T, and I’ve already finished the coffee in my deceptively small travel mug. It looks big, but volume wise it holds less than a Starbucks Tall. I make half a French press full of coffee and bring it back to my desk.


Work work work.


One of the guys from the shop broke his foot dancing (really), so we have him in the office helping us out while it heals. I’ve been training him, so we go over his most recent report. I offer some suggestions, and show him stumbling blocks to watch out for.


It’s not quuuuiiiiite lunch time, but I’m hungry now. Might as well jump the microwave queue. I packed leftover pasta with mushroom cream sauce and cherry tomatoes from dinner last night. Taking a bit of a caffeine break as well with some water and peppermint tea. Tasty.


The pasta wasn’t quite sufficient, so I grab my snack to augment it. I love Lara bars, but I can’t stomach the price of them given how simple they are to make. I threw some almonds and dates in the food processor on the weekend and formed little snack balls out of it. I think I’ll chop the almonds a little more and add some coconut next week.


I tried to take a full hour for lunch, but I was sucked back into work stuff early. Boo. Work work work.


Stand up meeting to go over area metrics. Yay visual management.


Work work work.


Coffee. Horribly, terrible office coffee. I can’t drink it. I have a Werther’s to placate my poor abused taste buds.


Work work work.


Heading out for the day.


Chose the wrong route home for traffic and it took longer than necessary. I walk in the door and let the dog out, then I strip the sheets off the beds, gather Munchkin’s clothes, and gather errant laundry.


Put munchkin’s clothes in washer and tidy laundry room.


Take a couple minutes to wash my face. I find it’s easier to do when I’m home alone.


Unload dishwasher and then turn on the radio. Munchkin is quite the little music fan.


The boys get home. I dance with around the living room with munchkin to the radio. Usually this makes him grin. Today it makes him wail like a banshee until he’s back in daddy’s arms. Cue the working mom guilt. I make him a PB&J sandwich along with some cheese and blueberries since we’re having soup for dinner. My husband reloads dishwasher while I ladle our soup and feed the dog.


Eat dinner as a family.


I put the dinner dishes in the dishwasher and run it through. My husband runs bath water for the munchkin. I clean up the munchkin in his high chair and bring him upstairs for his bath, then swap his clothes from the washer into the dryer.


Diaper, clean pyjamas, brush teeth and trim nails. General munchkin hygiene.


Lights out cuddle.


I put munchkin in his crib and sneak out of the nursery.

My husband washed up munchkin’s lunch containers, so I work on filling them up for the next day while he washes the items that wouldn’t fit in the dishwasher. I also pack up the leftover soup for lunch the next day.


Gather up kitchen towels and the high chair seat, put them in the washer.


Pour a beer and a snack bowl of roasted spiced almonds. Fold laundry while my husband looks for something to watch on TV. I wanted to watch “What The Health”, but we ended up settling on “Snowden”. Gave up on folding laundry.


Munchkin wakes up. Cuddled him back down to bed.


Come back downstairs, swap laundry from washer into dryer. My husband says “Nicely done”, which immediately cued munchkin to wake up and start crying again. Figures. Give up on the movie for the night.


Husband soothes munchkin while I put clean sheets on our bed.


Lights out. I’m done.





3 Responses to “A Day In The Life – Summer 2017”

  1. Shahna says:

    I love this post! I certainly sacrifice food prep (and cleaning gulp) for the sake of fashion. I’d like to start eating healthier though.

  2. Mica says:

    I’m in awe of you managing to get so much laundry done! I usually try leave the laundry for work from home or days off as otherwise there’s time to wash it in the morning but no time to hang it out (we don’t have a dryer, just the sun).

    We’ve been hit by winter gastro so there’s been even more laundry than usual and I’m constantly amazed by how never ending it is, haha! And just when you think you’re on top of it…another one is sick!

  3. Jess says:

    I love Day in the Life posts! I’m exhausted all the time just from life, so I don’t know how you do it as a mom with a full-time job!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


I'm Cassie.

I'm a petite hourglass, slow adopter, food geek, Engineer, wife and mom. Welcome to the little corner of the internet where I ramble on about random things. Mostly clothes.